"Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like."

Monday, April 2, 2007

I like when you all make my decisions for me

OK, I returned to work today, and I drove to work because I had to go to a thing after work that I didn't feel like taking public transportation to, and I would've spent just as much on cabs as I would've on parking. I discovered a parking lot which is a little bit of a longer walk than closer parking lots, but if I get in by 8 am, it's only $10 a day. So I thought to myself, what if I drive to work everyday instead of taking public transportation.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a hypocrite. At least I'm not that much of a hypocrite, always bitching about people not taking public transportation and driving instead cauing pollution and traffic. OK, I am a hypocrite, but they just started this construction project on the public transportation system that's supposed to double commute time.

Here's the math and where you need to make my decision for me:

1- Drive everyday and get to work before 8 am, therefore, barely avoid the craziest hour of traffic. Spend $10 a day on parking. Get to work and to home in less than 15 minutes, which if I'm doing the math right would be around half an hour a day on commuting;

OR

2- Take public transportation with the new crazy increase in commute time, and probably a total of at least an hour a day on commuting, if not more. Spend $4 a day on transportation, and most likely on days that go too long, which will pretty soon be something that is quite common, end up taking a cab and spending about $15 for a ride back home;

OR (which I have a feeling may be what I'll end up doing)

3- Alternate, and maybe drive the first half of the week, and do public transportation the second half, that way, I don't drive on Fridays or Thursdays, which are common *Happy Hour* days, so I can drink and not worry about leaving my car in downtown and having it towed because you're not supposed to leave your car in parking lots overnight?

What do you all think?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think you're giving us all the facts, ma'am. :-P

1. Don't you use a monthly pass instead of paying for each ride individaully? So, in fact, it's not actually $4 a day to take public transportation?

2. And is that montly pass deducted from your paycheck pre-tax?

3. If you work late, doesn't your firm reimburse your for your car ride home?

4. The parking costs $10/day, but you need to figure in the cost of fuel as well.

5. AND the time that you're driving, you can't really do anything else, so it's utterly wasted time. On the train, you could read or nap or just space out.

Obviously, I'm a HUGE fan of public transportation and think that if you can use it, you should.

Kranki said...

Oh jeeeez! You've inspired a new post for me. Public transpo is so gross. Is there some sort of carpooling at your job? Can you start one?

Tay said...

I would like to choose door number 3. Because, really, shouldn't all major decisions be centered around the decision to drink? ;-)

Manblogger641 said...

I say No. 1. DRIVE

Opera Gal said...

i MISS the El and the trains SO much!
then again, the farthest away from downtown where I worked was 159th/Kedzie, so that was just the train, no transfers, etc.

When I was in Lakeview, it was redline/brownline, or orange if I wanted to come back to MI on Southwest. The Clark street bus was my friend.

boy do I miss that - now I have to drive EVERYWHERE, and its a huge pain.

Nessa said...

I would be a big fan of public transportation if it were available to me, BUT, I'm not a fan AT ALL of long commutes (probably because I have one everyday), so I'd pick number 3! And I wish we had real live public transportation around here!

Holy Schmidt said...

Inconvenience is a bitch!

I agree with Nessa. Unless you want to drive everyday, then only do it the first 3 days, then P.T. it on Th. & Fri. I, too wish we had a decent system here. Ours is nasty, scary and it sucks. It only runs in Dallas county and there's nothing to connect the outlying areas.

I should move...

KULA said...

Lasadh - The system in the city doesn't have a monthly pass, just a pass that looks like credit card, and it's $2 each way if you make a transfer somewhere, otherwise it's a total of $3.50.

I am a big fan of public transportation too. But, the traffic isn't as nuts as NYC. Also, I only live 3 miles away from downtown, so I don't waste that much gas, and it's worth it if I need to go somewhere directly after work, like to my parents'. This won't be a habit though. I'll probably end up driving once a week here and there. We'll see. I hate driving. And you're right, I can get some reading done on the bus on the way to work.

Kranki - The public transportation is actually pretty clean around here. Most of the people I work with, live in the suburbs, and most people who work in the city take trains in. The whole point of driving is that I can go in whenever, so I'm not on anyone's schedule :)

Tay - YES! Drinking is the main guide in all of this. No driving on Thursday or Fridays, because there will be a lot of drinking going on :)

Manblogger - I don't actually enjoy driving, it's very stressful, and quite expensive in the city. It's nice that I have the option though.

Opera Girl - Sounds like someone would like to move back to Chicago :)

Nessa - I think I'm sticking with 3 too, but only once a week, when I have too. Looks like my working hours will be long, and the commute home on the bus is a lot faster then. It's true, we're very fortunate here for our transportation system.

Mel - Inconvenience IS a bitch! I have to admit that I do enjoy the fact that I can leave my apartment and jump in my car in the garage and not have to deal with the elements. Maybe when I buy a hybrid car I'll feel less guilty about driving and be able to drive more. But the transportation system is nice, and I can't imagine living somewhere without one. It's just too nice. Move here :)