"Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like."

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Oh yeah

I went to see Sicko today. It's great. Michael Moore is brilliant. I don't care what you think about him, but then again, if you hate him, you probably voted for Bush and support the Iraq war, which mean I don't care what you think, and you're hopeless. Hey, this is my blog, I can judge whomever I please!

If you think this is the greatest country in the world, you will watch that movie and sink in your seat from shame. My friend Jess wants to change the world and wants to fix this. I'm not as hopeful about the people who run this country, so I want out (see post below).

But if you get touched by people's stories of deaths that could've been prevented, and run the risk of crying in the theatre, like me, then take a couple of tissues with you. Sometimes, they were tears of anger and not just sadness. Anger that people can let people die, people they pretend to care about and protect, when all they really care about is their own well-being, and everyone else is sub-secondary. Every time Bush or Cheney came on screen, I wanted to stand up and say "fuck you for fucking us!" But that really goes for all politicians. No matter what party or what affiliation, they can all be easily bought. Sad, but true. Anyone who is capable of staying in Washington DC and surviving the life of a politician, has been bought off for someone's benefit.

It's a depressing movie, not because there are some sad stories there, but because the truth is raw and hurtful, and it can happen to any of us or our loved ones. It's not just on the screen. It's on every street corner. It's in the bus and train with us. It's because things can be changed, but there are forces that are actually working hard to stop the problems from being fixed. Yes, this is the land of opportunity, people alway tell you that. What no one tells you is that not everyone gets an opportunity. It's not a depressing movie, it's an eye opener. The problem is that when we open our eyes, we see things that somehow we missed. And they're not pretty, really not pretty.

Go see the movie!

5 comments:

Ern said...

I'm quite anxious to see it. Of course the theater in our neighborhood won't air it because the owner is very conservative. Which is his choice, I suppose, in a free country, as a business owner. But still. :P

It's so often the lobbyists and big businesses that prevent the change from happening. The biggest lobby for medicine, the AMA (which is fairly conservative, but still has patients in mind more than most other lobbies) is just a drop in the bucket compared to the pharmaceutical companies and the insurance companies. It's frustrating trying to run up stream in the medical field.

KULA said...

Ern - The problem is not with the doctors themselves, who I am sure would love to help and treat everyone that needs the help. The problem lies in the fact that the health insurance and pharmaceutical industries are for profit, and they look at people with medical problems not in terms of medical need, but in terms of $$$. To those industries human health is either cost effective or not, and if not, it's not worth providing them with the medical treatment for which they think they're covered.

No worries, I didn't spoil the movie for you, you have to go and see it.

Anonymous said...

I have the chance to watch all the Movies/Documentaries from Michael Moore (since Roger and Me)and had the rare opportunity to watch Fahrenheit 9/11 in a movie in CT when I was working back there in 2004 (quite an experience, indeed).

This guy is a critic of the system and sees some things that not the average "Joe" sees... He is probably not a saint, but having critical intelligent voices is good for any country.

I am waiting for Sicko to arrive in the Mexican movie screens... I will probably write something about it...

Kranki said...

All I can say is that I am EXTREEEEEMELY thankful I live in Canada with my cancer diagnosis because as a person working by contract I never would have had health care if I'd lived in the states. A friend of the family who lives in Washington state had breast cancer and even with very good insurance the family was out of pocket over $35,000 for her care. All I had to pay was parking. Seriously. EVERYTHING was covered. So I'll live in a pinko commie country anytime and be damned thankful for it. I happily pay my taxes.

I haven't seen the movie but I know it will break my heart with my whole experience to compare things to.

KULA said...

Julio - That's the problem here. You can see things in the system if you do the research, but people don't care. As long as their lives are going along OK, that's all that matters. That's not good enough!

I don't think he's a saint, but he certainly isn't the devil like our government and politicians.

Kranki - I think you will enjoy the movie. It will make you happier you live in Canada. And it will really hit close to home for you in some of the stories. I am also very happy for you that you live in Canada.