"Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like."

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Love is...

One of my friends once said to me that I have a really wonderful life going for me, but that it would be perfect and complete if I had a guy whose shoulder I can rest my head on. She said that wouldn't it be nice to have someone to love, and who would love me.

She's a fool!

Anyone who thinks love can only come to you from someone you're romantically associated with is a fool. Not to say that the things we get from relationships are not necessary, but not every relationship brings into your life the completion we all seek when we add pieces of the puzzle into our lives. I, personally, have no interest in trying to force the wrong piece of the puzzle into my life. I have no desire to do that because I have so much love in my life that I don't feel like I need to try too hard to find more love. Yes, sure, it would be nice to have that one guy that I feel is my "better half" or "soul mate" or whatever kids are calling it these days. Who doesn't? But I definitely have the love all around me.

Yesterday, I was hanging out with a group of friends that I call my "little dysfunctional family" of friends. This group has in it two couples, but I never feel like the fifth wheel. This group is made up of individuals who, alone, are each far from perfect, but who somehow together make my life feel complete. Every time we get together we argue, we annoy each other, we yell, we scream, we make fun of each other, we probably say hurtful things, and we definitely disagree on many MANY things. But I have never come back home after hanging out with them and not smiled and counted my blessings for having them in my life. I look at them and see a lot of love, a lot of unconditional, dysfunctional, raw, and crazy love.

THAT is exactly why I don't feel deprived of love in my life. Why I don't have this need to get with someone whose shoulder I can lean on. I already have a lot of shoulders I can lean on. If anything, I need to be extra careful who I bring into my life, because whoever it is, he will have to naturally fit into this group of people. One man's love, no matter how deep, can't and won't replace what I already have going on for me, but will have to become part of it, without judging or forcing anything. If he's the right guy, he'll fit right in. But until I find him (or he finds me), I promise you all, I don't feel like my life is lacking any love at all.

6 comments:

Kranki said...

I totally agree. I don't see any point in forcing a 'love connection' to fulfill some sort of socially perceived lack in my life. I, too, am happy as I am and if somebody comes along who can fit in to it all, well, then great! If not, well, that is fine too.

Don't mind me. I went to a wedding last night and it was kinda weird and kinda sad. I feel pretty good about being single right now.

Missy said...

RAAAAANDoooolph.

Yup.

KULA said...

Kranki - Sometimes weddings are weird like that, but then again, sometimes some awful marriages make me think to myself: "thank God that's not me!" If you're not happy in your own life, no one can bring happiness into it!

Missy - I will never look at that word the same way anymore! :)
That band was NUTS!

macandchen said...

Being called "dysfunctional" never felt so good.

We love you very much and enjoy spending time with you always, even when you wear an Italy jersey :)

Tay said...

AMEN, baby!

KULA said...

macandchen - I love you guys too! And hey, your team won, so no hard feelings about the jersey, right?

Tay - Where have you been? Hope everything is well :)